Vacancy Ref : KOK/ 445
Contract term: Experienced Pre-Contract Quantity Surveyor (Full-time or part time/ Contract)
The full gamut of traditional Quantity Surveying duties with a focus upon measurement in accordance with the appropriate standard, preparation of Bills of Quantities and schedules of work. The ability to produce measured BQ’s is an essential requirement. Speed and accuracy is important as you work within a close knit team to meet the clients deadlines.
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Keelagher Okey Klein, whose portfolio of clients include, Local Authorities, Universities, Education, NHS Trusts, Housing Associations, Property Managers, Major Contractors, and blue chip multi-national companies. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with an eye to progression who wishes to join a small well established and expanding team.
Department: Quantity Surveying
Regional Office: The position will be primarily based in our Warrington office, with a flexible working arrangement to suit the current climate. You must be prepared to work flexibly from the Warrington office when required (subject to a Covid risk assessment and testing regime). Ideally you will live within a short travelling distance of the office, such that the commute will not be a burden. You will be expected to work on projects both locally and nationally and to travel when necessary.
Reporting to: Head of Quantity Surveying
Conditions: Salary and conditions to be agreed. Corporate training and professional development support will be made available. You will show a current and ongoing commitment to achieving annual CPD requirements and will provide details of your training record annually upon request.
Duties and responsibilities:
This is a stimulating opportunity for a confident, personable, self-disciplined, organised, dynamic, and communicative person with a commercial approach and a keen eye for detail to establish robust commercial control with clients old and new on a variety of projects and measured term contracts. A background of working for a PQS office is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to take a lead role with:
- Reporting upon project status, opportunities, and current workload for QS Services to the department head or Director.
- Promoting and demonstrating compliance with our QA system.
- Mentoring junior staff.
- Working within a collaborative QS team to share knowledge and spread workload.
- Taking a full QS role on MTC contracts and smaller projects (JCT Minor Works).
- Liaise with clients and contractors to provide accurate budgetary, contract and procedural
- Build up existing and establish new client relationships to promote repeat business opportunities.
- Promote partnership working to achieve client objectives.
- Attend Design Team and progress meetings.
- Prepare appropriately detailed estimates in accordance with NRM1, to suit the level of detail required at RIBA work stages 0-4.
- Prepare and pursue Requests for Information (RFI) in a structured manner.
- Prepare Bills of Quantities using bespoke software.
- Prepare Schedules of Work.
- Prepare and issue Tender documents.
- Prepare and issue Contract document.
- Deal effectively and transparently with RFI and tender clarifications.
- Review budgets and contract compliance in detail.
- Agree the information for and preparation of budget prices, and comment upon contractual matters.
- Promote the cross-selling of other services offered by the business.
- The ideal candidate will have a confident and approachable personality that invokes trust and respect both internally and within a project team.
- They will have a good working knowledge of JCT contracts including single and two stage tendering methods. A working knowledge of NEC contracts is also desirable.
- They will be able to clearly demonstrate experience in the procurement sequence / methodology for new buildings, repair, maintenance, alterations, demolition and fit out.
- They will be able to read and interpret technical drawings, will have experience of using the MS Office suite and software used to measure and take off. Training will be available in the use of the measurement software, but they will be expected to demonstrate prior knowledge of commercial measurement packages including BQ software and digital drawing measurement software.
- The ability to produce measured BQ’s is an essential requirement. They will have a proven track record and be able to demonstrate a competent and recent ability to take off detailed Bills of Quantities using any or all of the following: NRM2, SMM7 and CESMM4 and to demonstrate a good track record in preparing Schedules of Work, and BREEAM compliant estimates using NRM1.
- They will be able to take full advantage of the committed technical support and team working available within KOK, be disciplined, well organised and methodical in their approach.
- They will have a good understanding of current Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and the roles and responsibilities of the Principal Designer in relation to projects from inception to completion.
- Being able to demonstrate practical knowledge of applying the PSA Schedules of Rates under the terms of the JCT Measured Term Contract is also desirable.
Qualifications and Experience:
In this instance the demonstration of skill, speed and accuracy is paramount, but it would be an advantage if the Candidate held a relevant degree/diploma in Quantity Surveying and held / had held chartered membership of the RICS (MRICS) with a minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience in areas relevant to our business.
Access to a vehicle with business use insurance and a full, clean driving license is desirable. The Warrington office is 3 minutes’ walk from Bank Quay station and 15 minutes from Central.