CHARTERED QUANTITY SURVEYOR
CHARTERED QUANTITY SURVEYOR
Vacancy Ref : KOK/ 390
Contract term: Chartered Quantity Surveyor (Full-time)
Department: Quantity Surveying
Regional Office: The position will be primarily based in our Warrington office, with flexible working arrangement to suit the current climate. You must be prepared to work full-time from the Warrington office when required (subject to a Covid risk assessment and testing regime). Ideally you will live within a short travelling distance of the office, such that the daily commute will not be a burden. You will be expected to work on projects both locally and nationally and to travel when necessary.
Reporting to: Senior Surveyor/Director
Conditions: Salary and conditions to be agreed. Corporate training and professional development support will be made available. You will be a professional member of the RICS, will show a current and ongoing commitment to achieving annual CPD requirements and will provide details of your training record annually upon request.
Opportunity Description: An exciting opportunity has arisen at Keelagher Okey Klein, whose portfolio of clients include The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, Local Authorities, Universities, Education, NHS Trusts, Property managers, Major contractors and blue chip multi-national companies. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with an eye to progression who wishes to join a small well established and expanding team.
Duties and responsibilities: This is a stimulating opportunity for a confident, personable, self-disciplined, organised, dynamic, and communicative person with a commercial approach and a keen eye for detail to establish robust commercial control with clients old and new on a variety of projects and measured term contracts. A background of working for a PQS office is desirable. The successful candidate will be expected to
take a lead role with:
• Reporting upon project status, opportunities, and current workload for QS Services to a Senior Surveyor or Director.
• Promoting and demonstrating compliance with our QA system.
• Mentoring junior staff.
• Working within a collaborative QS team to share knowledge and spread workload.
• Taking a full QS role on projects ranging in value from £100k – £8m, including MTC.
• QS, PM, CA and EA services on larger complex projects and a variety of other JCT/NEC schemes.
• Liaise with clients and contractors to provide accurate budgetary, contract and procedural advice.
• Build up and establish client relationships to promote repeat business opportunities.
• Promote partnership working to achieve client objectives.
• Attend MTC, design team and progress meetings.
• Review budgets, interim accounts, final accounts, and contract compliance in detail.
• Prepare technical progress reports.
• Agree the information for and preparation of budget prices, final accounts and management reports, and comment upon procedural and contractual matters.
• Be able to draft and amend QS/PM/CA/EA documents and procedures.
• Prepare fee quotations and assist the bid manager with complex bid documents.
• Promote the cross-selling of other services offered by the business.
• The ideal candidate will have a confident and approachable personality that invokes trust and respect both internally and within a project team.
• They will have a good working knowledge of JCT contracts including single and two stage tendering methods. They will also be expected to demonstrate practical knowledge of applying the PSA Schedules of Rates under the terms of the JCT Measured Term Contract. A working knowledge of NEC contracts is also desirable.
• They will be able to clearly demonstrate experience in the procurement sequence / methodology for new buildings, repair, maintenance, alterations, demolition and fit out.
• They will be able to read and interpret technical drawings, will have experience of using the MS Office suite and software used to measure and take off. Training will be available in the use of the measurement software, but they will be expected to demonstrate prior knowledge of commercial measurement packages including BQ software and digital drawing
• The ability to produce measured BQ’s is an essential requirement. They will be able to demonstrate a competent and recent ability to take off Bills of Quantity using any or all of the following: NRM2, SMM7 and CESMM4 and to demonstrate a good track record in preparing Schedules of Work and BREEAM compliant estimates using NRM1.
• They will be able to take full advantage of the committed technical support and team working available within KOK, be disciplined, well organised and methodical in their approach.
• They will have a good understanding of current Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and the roles and responsibilities of the Principal Designer in relation to projects from inception to completion.
Qualifications and Experience: The Candidate must hold a relevant degree/diploma in Quantity Surveying and hold chartered membership of the RICS (MRICS) with a minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience in areas relevant to our business. Access to a vehicle with business use insurance and a full, clean driving license is essential.